South Devon and Torbay are to become a Pioneer Site for the integration of health and social care. They are one of only 14 areas nation-wide to achieve this status.
This should mean that people of all ages – young people, families, and older people – will experience seamless care even when they need a whole range of different services. They will also have more control over their care and treatment.
Note the commitment below to:
‘Make sure that mental health services are every bit as good and easy to get as other health services.’
They will get national and international support to:
- Join up with local communities, community organisations and volunteers to make a real difference to people’s quality of life
- Extend integrated care from the present adult service, so that everyone can benefit from it
- Give every child the best possible start so that they have equal chances of living a fulfilling life
- Make it easier for young people to move smoothly from children’s services into adult services
- Move towards seven day services so that care on a Sunday is as good as care on a Monday – and patients are always in the place that’s best for them
- Make sure that mental health services are every bit as good and easy to get as other health services
- Coordinate care so that people only have to tell their story once, whether they need health, social care, GP or mental health services